Thursday 6 September 2012

If only we could eat weeds!

Just spent the day at the plot, when I got there I was surprised at how the weeds have grown! If only we could eat weeds (and enjoy them). So of course I did everything I could before I tried to tackle the weeds. So I thought I would try and dig up the horse radish, what a job! I couldn't believe how far down I had to dig just to get a bit of the root up. The horse radish was in the ground before I took up the plot. I thought I'd leave it in to grow as I know my family likes the stuff. Wish I didn't now haha. I got some dug up, a carrier bag full but I know there is root left in the ground as it kept snapping off. So I will have to give it another go to try and get as much up as possible.

Horse radish, goes a lot further down


What a brilliant week we are having in weather, this is the first day I have got to enjoy the sun without being at work. An Indian summer? Maybe till Sunday. Might of got a bit of a tan today but I did get tired a lot quicker than I normally do, so of course I had to have breaks, nothing better having a sit down with a coffee looking over the plot with only the sound of the trees blowing... heaven.

 My lunch!

So it was back to work with trying to dig up as much of the horse radish as possible, then trying to de-weed the plot. I was very cautious with pulling up weeds near the runner beans, I couldn't see the base of the plant so I had to go very slowly or else pulling up a whole plant. As I said I am a novice, but I have learnt a hell of a lot in the last 5 months. Next year I shall be erecting a teepee structure for the runner beans and putting down card board to try and surpress the weeds. Thats the plan anyway. I have noticed now that my runner beans are losing steam and starting not to produce many runner beans and only one plant is producing any flowers so I may of missed a few beans when harvesting so they have gone into seed.

The weeds surrounding the runner beans (don't worry these have been pulled up)

I think the reason why I am getting so many weeds is because I have a lot of ground that is not growing anything except bloody weeds, so i'm thinking about buying some seeds for a green manure, I have been reading up on it in the last few days.

At the moment I am waiting for my over-winter onion sets to be delivered, as soon as they are I am going to plant my broad beans, peas and my white and red onions, I have planned on where these are going for the winter.

I got a job done which I have been meaning to do for a while, I have pruned my soft fruit bushes, I hope I haven't pruned them too much, it looked like that they haven't been pruned in years and have gone a bit wild! So hopefully I should still get some fruit next year, I am on the look out for some cow muck so I can use some for the soft fruit, I don't think they have been given any food for a while.

I did notice that I am getting a late crop of strawberries! This is the one fruit that never manages to get home, they are always eaten on site as a great snack! I'm tempted to try and use the runners for new plants but I have to have a little research on it before I do, any advice you guys can give me would be great. 

 Gorgeous

Truly the best when eaten within 5 secs!
 
I'm thinking of ways to improve the plot next year, I was thinking of building some raised beds, I have been on eBay to see how much it would cost me getting some second hand scaffolding boards, they are quite cheap but of course they are all pick up in person and no one near me, I drive a Mazda 2 so picking them up might be difficult, I will have to pop to a building merchant and see what they got and hopefully not pricey. I have all winter to try and get a bargain as I will be putting them in next year. 

Well I have a carrot cake in the oven to check so I shall be checking off and saying good bye to you all, if you want to follow me on Twitter @adventuresallot is my username. Thank you for reading.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.