Tuesday 19 March 2013

The Edible Garden Show...

Now this was the first time myself and my wife went to a 'grow your own' expedition, and what an experience! I loved it, not only was there loads and loads of stalls offering great products but experts talking about our craft. My favourite by far was James Wong, I watched both of his talks. The highlight of my day was meeting the very same man and getting him to sign his new book 'Homegrown Revolution', which im in the process of reading and getting some great ideas from.

James Wong
 
Mine and Lauren's book signed by James Wong

James Wong is very passionate about his new cause 'Homegrown Revolution' I can understand where he is coming from, why grow something that you can buy from your local green grocer for a fraction of the price... he recommends growing more expensive and unusual foods like New Zealand Yams, Tasmanian mountain pepper and many more things. I shall be trying a few of the things in the book and we also bought three Ka-Pows! Yes you heard me Ka-Pows! A Ka-Pow! is a soft berry that is grown on a bush and it is much sweeter than a strawberry. Lauren and I were very excited about this one as it is a limited edition and only available at the show. I can't wait to prance around my allotment site with these berries ;)

A Ka-Pow! (before I potted it up)
 
Our Ka-Pow!s all potted up!
 
As you may know or not, I have been given a new plot, it is double the size of my existing plot so this weekend I shall be transferring all my timber in my new plot and then I can plant my Ka-Pows!
As you can see I am very excited about all the new and exotic things I want to grow in the future but don't get me wrong I will still be growing all the staple allotment foods like beetroot, runner beans, onions, leeks and peas as these are far superior than the supermarket! I also enjoy growing these types of food. 
 
Other than the experts there was a heck a lot of stuff to do and see, the small holding marque was good, there was a lot of chickens and pigs in there so that was a lot of fun seeing all the different breeds. 
 

 


 
There are a lot of animals I would love to keep, but I am so tempted to keep chickens... the wife isn't too sure! 
 
At the end of the day we were exhausted and our hands were full of bags of goodies. So it was a great day I am only disappointed that the show is moving to London for next year, I wish them all the luck in the world for next year but it is a bit too far to travel for us so we will be hoping other similar shows will be more local for us to access! 
 
Thank you for reading...
 
Please follow me on Twitter @adventuresallot
 
 

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.