Sunday 14 October 2012

The Winter Dig

Hi guys, I hope everyone has had a great weekend and what a weekend have we had with the weather. I woke up Saturday morning and the sun was shining... so after visiting the butchers and green grocers (the green grocer advised me to spray 'round up' on all my plot weeds and crops so that I will come more often!) and after all the hello's in town I walked down the allotments, I was faced with a challenge my first winter dig. I had an experienced hand advising me how I might go about it, I asked him whether he used any horse muck, he said no as it has a lot of weed seeds in it so he only uses chicken manure pellets, his allotment is producing a lot! So it must be working for him, so I might try the chicken pellets as I have a few tubs of the stuff in the shed and the car actually, I must get those out of there soon. He gave me a marrow which was very nice so I got some good advice and some of his produce... bargain!

Before
After

So I started with the dig, it was hard work but fun, as you can see I have left the soil in big chunks as the frost will do the hard work of breaking the soil down, I think working with nature is a partnership, if I do some hard work I expect nature to do some aswel :). I had plenty of time to think about next season while digging. I've decided against converting my whole plot to raised beds as it is a big expense which isn't necessary, so what I will do is if I can get any timber for raised beds I will do one by one. I will be planting my strawberries in a raised bed so I can control the soil and be able to put up some protection for them.

So it took me around four hours to dig over half the plot. I am glad I did it yesterday as a hard frost was upon us last night. So when I got home I thought a nice hot bath would be great for my aching muscles.

So today my muscles are aching but it is a good ache as I know I did something with my two hands and next year I will get my rewards with a lovely crumbling soil!

At home I have a worm farm which I have had for about four months, the worms don't like direct sunlight or low temps. Many people leave there worm houses in direct sunlight and all this does is bake them alive, not very nice for the worms or our noses! So if your thinking about keeping one, keep the house in the shade and in winter make sure they go somewhere which is inside so the frost won't kill them. So I have moved them to the shed which keeps the frost off.

 The worm farm, before being moved in the shed

I hope you guys have a good week and lets hope for a few more frosts to get rid of those slugs and snails!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.