Sunday 18 November 2012

Digging Up The Strawberry Patch

Well I popped down the plot on Thurs just to check out my onions, well I ended up staying for four hours. I love when that happens (the wife isn't too fond of it).

 Impressed by my winter onions

So I decided to dig up the strawberry patch, I didn't save any runners as I didn't know what variety they were. The books say you should only have your strawberry plants for three years and as I only took the plot over this year I have no idea how long they have been there. I will be buying bare roots for the next growing year.

 A Strawberry flower but no bees to pollinate

The strawberry patch after it was dug over
 
The person who had the plot before me also laid down some weed membrane, I don't like this stuff as I believe it doesn't do the soil any favours also weeds was growing through it anyways! So I pulled up all the weed membrane and dug over the patch. She also put the membrane down under the fruit bushes, I put a hand full of chicken poo pellets down for them but I thought the goodness won't get through the membrane so it had to come up. I mixed it with the soil, so hopefully this will give them an extra boost for next Spring.

As I was giving the fruit bushes some chicken pellets I thought i'd give some to the rhubarb.
My rhubarb crowns
 
I can't believe that the rhubarb will grow into such a giant compared to what it is now! If I took the plot over this week I could of quite easily without knowing dug up the crowns. What a crime that would of been! 

I am making plans for next year, I have ordered my seeds already and should be arriving in the next couple of months. I ordered them through the allotment assocation so I don't know how and when they will be delivered. 

I shall be going up the plot this week if the weather permits just to tidy up the place, get the paths sorted and make a compost area. I will also need to think about constructing a raised bed for the new strawberries that will be going in next year.

Thank you for reading and I will see you all again soon






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.